Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Teachers and Students

You know, I'm not quite sure who is the teacher and who is the student! I've always tried to be the one to teach my kids, whether directly or by example, but the older I get I'm finding that I'm the one learning from them. Or, maybe, I'm seeing learning and teaching come around full circle! I'm not sure, but I do know one thing.....when I see my kids making right decisions and choosing correct paths I know that the teaching and the learning are "right on" no matter who's doing it!
Our kids miss telling us all about their lives each day after school! Thank goodness for e-mail! My kids are well versed with technology. So, while we are walking along the shore at Big Beach in Kihei, Kaylin shoots us an e-mail. Here's the teaching and learning part.......she had a test in science and had missed some points (traumatic for her, she's a perfectionist!). But, then she noticed that there was another wrong answer that was not marked wrong. So, she took it up to the teacher and showed her and this is what her teacher said "well, you know what you get?......you get that point for being honest!" Then Kaylin tells me in her e-mail, "It sure does pay to do what's right!" That's when you thank Heavenly Father for filling in where you leave off and for the little experiences that let you know you're doing a pretty good job being a parent! But, I have to admit, my kids do a pretty great job being pretty good kids! That makes my parenting job pretty easy!

2 comments:

desert mom said...

The older I get the more I realize that my children have and are teaching me. Thank you "The Sunshine's of my Life" for all the great lessons.

I'm proud of you Kaylin!!!
My Love to All

Karen Nihipali Wicke said...

We learn a lot from little ones don't we! We learn tons from the all the kids we are with in nursery.