Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas Timber!

I must admit that we have the most pathetic looking Christmas Tree on the planet!!! I just didn't have it in me to set up our 12 foot tree this year and if we didn't have kids we probably wouldn't have set up a tree at all. I probably would have put a string of lights on one of our trusty corn plants and called it good. However, how could I disappoint 10 cute little eyes that looked so eager to "deck the halls" and branches!?
The kids did a fabulous job of decorating the tree and it didn't look so pathetic until the cat got to it.......again, and again and again. It looks like a soldier returned from war 10 times over. I got tired of straightening it up after it hit the floor several times. The only ornament I straighten, out of sacred reverence, is the angel that flops to the side when I right the tree up again. Christmas can still proceed as long as the angel is straight and proper!
We now have a squirt bottle ready to do battle with the cat when he decides to traverse the upper branches. Only problem is that the presents get wet, but it sure stops the cat in his tracks! I think next year I'll put the 12 foot tree up just to teach the cat a lesson! That will be a hard one to topple! Then we'll see which one really is the pathetic one!

3 comments:

desert mom said...

Remember that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I think that's pretty close to the saying. Anyway, if the tree makes the children's eyes sparkle it doesn't matter how many times the cat topples it. By the way isn't this the first Christmas for the cat? Curiosity Is The Cat.

Seriously, I'm so sorry your having to deal with this, it's a JOB decorating the tree once let alone several times. Hope CAT leaves the tree alone.

We don't have a tree but the lights on the porch and on the large windows and the Nativity scenes make it feel like Christmas. I claim the lighted Christmas tree on the hill our own presonal Christmas Tree.

Love to All

Karen Nihipali Wicke said...

Well Hamiltons, ask Nathan what is on our tree. We put up the lights on a fake tree and we have failed to put the ornaments on it. Nathan is with you and the dog could care less hear and nobody comes to see me, so it doesn't matter.

Laurel said...

Just when your kids got old enough to leave the tree well enough alone, now it's the doggone cat! Just a few days ago Thomas said, "Next year will just about perfect for Lincoln to be getting into the tree." I must admit, the thought sent shivers down my spine. Maybe I need to borrow your cat just to warm up.