Monday, August 25, 2008

Puddles, Scissors and Hair

I've often wondered what it is that attracts kids to puddles, scissors and hair! I remember living in Pennsylvania and "hunting" for earthworms in rain puddles. One particular day we had a sitter, Sister Watermellon, and it was raining outside. We put on rain boots, grabbed umbrellas and ventured out to the driveway. We hunted the worms and after we were bored with that (they really aren't exciting creatures) we splashed in the puddles and got soggy wet! It was fun! Fun to a Mom is something else! I don't think it's fun to clean up the soggy clothes, the drippy umbrella strewn on the livingroom carpet or the trail of water throughout the house! Perhaps I need to change my attitude and go back to jumping in puddles! Hmmmm, I should check the forecast for today!
We had a great time yesterday with Elizabeth, Eddy, Ricky and Ranisha! It's nice to have family visit especially since "we" live so far away! Although I think it is all of "you" who live so far away! Anyway, we had to set a time limit for all the fun we had playing games. Yes, had you called you would have heard all the laughter in the background! But, alas, all the fun had to come to an end due to school the next morning. After we all enthusiastically waved good-bye at the front window Britt decided his fun was not yet over. As I was cleaning the kitchen Riley and Britt come in fighting over a pair of scissors. Blood is what I was anticipating, relieved not to see any. Riley announced that Britt was cutting Baileys hair. Now, you have to know that Bailey is not blessed with the amount of hair the rest of the kids had at her age so I was terrified that my little girl would look more like a boy with her "new" haircut. For some reason, my attention got side tracked and I wasn't able to view the new doo until she was fast asleep. From what I can tell, she'll survive any snide or ill-mannered remarks from her peers!
But, this all brings me to one inquisition: why did God give such a strong magnetic pull between children, puddles, scissors and hair? If I was in charge I'd change the attraction to broccoli, chores and piano practice! Maybe that is why I'm not in charge!

1 comment:

desert mom said...

Oh, I'm so glad you're having fun up there. Glad to hear that Elizabeth and Eddy are in Alaska. I was kind of thinking that they should be there by now. I had to laugh at your post. I guess you kids did call Sister Watermon Sister Watermellon didn't you.

Just think of the free hair cuts you'll get with a barber in the family. I think its because hair cuts so easy compared to any thing else. Thank goodness hair grows out. That reminds me I neet to make a hair appointment.

Y'all have a great time.
Eternal Love to all.
Mom