Sunday, October 18, 2009

If All Else Fails, Bring in Santa Clause!

I must confess and ask for a little forgiveness! Britt has never given a talk, scripture, article of faith or prayer in Primary. Oh, he's been assigned a couple dozen but when it is time for "his part" he gets up and refuses to open his mouth! Needless to say, I've given a bunch of talks, scriptures, articles of faith and prayers at the ripe old age of 39 and 40. Well...........I wasn't about to let that happen again and besides that, all of the primary leadership had bets on when Britten Hamilton was going to finally ......well, you know the rest of the sentence! So, I kind of forced him to give his talk today. My college degree finally did me a bit of good! (and, I won't be getting a check in the mail for it either!) He thought it was pretty cool to dress up as a doctor which got him off his seat and in front of everyone. Thanks to our practice at home, he knew his talk was short and I would whisper the words in his ear! BUT, he whispered back " I don't want to do this!" as we stood in front of the primary with the leaders staring intently from the back of the room! Returning the whisper I confidently reminded him that his bike would be out of commission and Santa Clause was watching very closely and had his list in hand just waiting to hear his talk! Quickly he began..."When I am sick....". He spoke so clearly and loud enough for everyone to hear him. I was so proud and without looking up I could see the Primary presidency jumping for joy in the back of the room! His bike just got a little more air in it's tires and Santa Clause is making sure the elves are making the #1 request on his Christmas list. Whew! Never make threats you can not keep.....and this is one threat I was really hoping I wasn't going to have to keep!!! All evening long Britt kept reminding everyone in the family that he was so happy he gave his first talk today...but, most importantly...." I can't wait to give another one!" That's my confident boy!

2 comments:

desert mom said...

Sounds like the the hurdle has been conquered. Next time should be easyier.

I'll never forget the first time Ben was to give a talk in Primary. He just couldn't do it. My heart melted for him. Shortly after that he told me that he didn't want to go on a mission. I told him not to worry about it and that we would talk about it when he gets older...Look what he did...and what he's doing now.

Good job Britt!!!

Laurel said...

Well, I think it's only appropriate that Santa attends church. I'm all about bribery. Not sure how you raise kids without it.