Wednesday, September 16, 2009

If Walls Could Talk

I've always wondered what trees would tell us if they could talk! Imagine a history lesson from a tree! I wondered that a lot when I was in Washington D.C., Chicago, Milwaukee etc. Unfortunately, they lack lips and a tongue so I don't think I'll be getting a history lesson from one any time soon! However, I have learned that walls, do indeed, talk (and so do floor joists)! Now, our house was built in 1981 so it isn't entirely THAT old, but, ohhhhhh, I have learned so much in the last 24 hours! We were contemplating with one of our contractors just how we could level the floor better in our new room. There was a gradual drop in elevation of about 1 3/4 inches from one wall to the other (plus the slanted roof gives an illusion of even more). We finally settled on a brilliant idea! We'd pull up the floor which wouldn't be hard because it was a 1/2 inch subfloor anyway, and add new 2 X 6's to the floor joists to raise the floor the needed height. Then we'd put 3/4 inch plywood down and call it good for carpeting. The first piece of old plywood came up and under it was potting soil and rocks strewn about between the joists. Now, we've found garbage left over from building projects before and it isn't that unusual to find things stuck between walls or under floors. But, mind you, this is the second story and what would dirt and rocks be doing on the second floor? Pointing that out to my head guy he reached down and picked up some leaves, and then another! I also picked up some leaves and we held them up to inspect them. A stem, five long dried leaves and a couple seed like looking things stuck to them. THEN WE GOT IT!!! Ughhhhh, Marajuana! WE'VE BEEN LIVING IN A POT HOUSE! Now, none of us really know what 28 year old dried marajuana looks like so I put it in a box and went down to Randy's office. An employee confirmed that, in his opinion, it was indeed marajuana! That explains all of the wierd things we have found in that "extra" room......220 outlets, slanted floor, hidden entrance from the master closet, a small window facing the house next door and an open window looking down into our livingroom (all foliage needs sunshine and fresh air). We could never figure out why there appeared to be sheetrock damage from water in the middle of the garage ceiling (there are no water pipes remotely near that area) and why the label in the breaker box for that room says "sauna".
Now, I have to admit that I feel a bit "dirty"! Oh, I know I've done nothing wrong but I don't feel like we live in an "innocent" house anymore! The overhaul we are doing will hopefully help the repentance process of our home. I think it's cool that our walls and floors have spoken to us but I think there was a little more information than I cared to know about! New walls, new floors and new paint and we'll have a born again house!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Did Randy's employee ask to keep the seeds? If so I hope you didn't let him have them. We lived in a house that also had a secret room with more outlets then you could count. Who knew that you could have had a very lucrative business out of your extra room this whole time!

desert mom said...

It is a good thing that cars don't tell their stories. Can you imagine what the old suburban could tell. Each time I walk by it (that's every day) I remember the good times we've had as a family. I'm sure there are stories that we know not of.

At first as you mentioned leaves and twigs I thought you had a pack rat but with all the other evidence, you have lots of proof of...a a a pot HOUSE. Potting soil???

Thank goodness for redemption.