Friday, October 3, 2008

Fall Chores

I've fallen down on my new found hobby! Perhaps a good excuse is insertable right....about.....here! In Alaska you have to stay ahead of the weather, otherwise you'll get buried under a whole bunch of white stuff! So, we have spent the last four weeks trying to finish up outside projects. All of my time has been spent on less than exciting chores!
The biggest one of all was collecting, cutting and splitting 8 cords of wood! All in the name of warmth and lower heating bills! This year we set a record, three days of collecting and cutting and 2 days of splitting. Five days total and we were done! Oooppps, I forgot moving it to the back yard and stacking it....that took another 2 days, 5 hours, 28 minutes and 12 seconds! One week........ now that has to be a Guinness' world record!
There are some things I'm still working on, let's see if they'll get done before the great white stuff appears:


  • split and replant the rhubarb
  • stake the trees so the moose don't eat them in half
  • clear out the garage to get the van back in (a must!)
  • organize the shed
  • hang the bikes (no good during the winter anyway!)
  • winterize the lawn
  • power-wash the deck
  • sweep the sidewalk
  • paint the shed (too late this year)
  • rake up the leaves
  • cut back the perennials and cover with leaves
  • dump zucchini plants and put pots in shed
  • get out shovels and pray we don't have to use them too soon!

Now to think positively......I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!!! If all else fails, I have a nice stack of wood to gaze upon and know that at least we will be very warm this winter!

3 comments:

desert mom said...

Looking at that stack of wood makes me feel nice and cozy. I'm not even going to think of all the work it took to get it there. The list however makes me verry tiried. Maybe it will hurry up and snow then you won't need to do it at all. Just kidding. I hope it doesn't snow until you're ready for it. Love to All

Erin said...

I was thinking you must have some pretty good log splitters (meaning people) to get it done so fast then I made the picture bigger and saw the log splitter machine and was thankful for you. And your back, which I'm sure still got a HUGE workout. Way to go and good work. Good luck on the rest of your list. When does it usually start snowing? We are hoping to not have a freak snow before Halloween.

desert mom said...

Was I missing something? I didn't see the picture of JJ at the bottom of the blog the first time I checked. Did you add it later? If not I need to see my eye doctor. Good picture JJ.
Love to All