Saturday, September 6, 2008

Happy Birthday Bubbie!

I don't have a lot of memories of my big brother while he still lived at home, but the ones I do have are permanently embedded in my heart! They come through the eyes of a 5 year old and I feel so young as I bring them up from my memory. One, I remember in particular, occurred two days after my thumb got slammed in the car door of the station wagon Dad and Mom owned. It was wrapped in a gauze bandage and because of the pain I could not sleep. So, as Bernie was watching out the big picture window of our home in Pennsylvania, I stood beside him on the couch as we watched for his bus to come down the hill. I don't recall the conversation we had but I do know he was gentle and compassionate with his words. I was a little sister who felt warmed by his love and caring while we waited together for his bus to take him off to school.
Another memory, for some reason, also involved pain. Thomas and I used to get awful "growing pains" in our legs. So bad that we would cry from the throbbing. One night I was really having a hard time and again, could not sleep. Bernie invited me into his room, gently pushed up my pajama pants so I looked like I had shorts on and rubbed my legs with alcohol. He'd rub one calf first and the switch to the other. He was AMAZING! When he was done it was a miracle! I didn't have any more pain that night! Not soon after this memory Bernie left for the Navy and we only got to see him on "surprise" visits home. We were always so excited to see him!
My little Riley is the only one of my children who has had problems with "growing" pains. My Big brother was my greatest example and I knew immediately what I needed to do to ease Riley's pain. Usually in the middle of the night, I would take Riley's legs and rub each calf just like Bubbie did to ease the pain in my legs. When I was done I'd tuck Riley back into bed and he'd sleep for the rest of the night.
This loving care from a big brother reminds me of another brother I also don't remember very well. But, it is through the service of others that we are reminded of his great work, compassion and example! Christ healed the sick through the use of his hands, he knelt and washed the feet of his very best friends, he fed the poor and he gave his very life so that we can have life again with our Heavenly Father. What great examples I am blessed to have and to follow!
Bubbie, I don't know if you get to read our blog, but I want you to know how much I LOVE you and want you to know what a powerful example you were to a little girl who looked up to you more than you ever know! I am so thankful you are a part of our family! You brought riches to every one of us!
Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday!!!

3 comments:

Karen Nihipali Wicke said...

what a great blog. It made me cry...thanks for sharing.

desert mom said...

I cried as I read it too. Carolee I hope you sent Bernie a copy to his email address. Tell him about your blog. and the others too.
Love to all!

Laurel said...

What wonderful memories of a sweet older brother.