Yesterday we spent the afternoon weeding, mowing and edging the lawn of a four plex on the other side of town. It was a very satisfying, rewarding and exhausting time spent together as a family. After dinner I suggested to Randy that he should go get his favorite body butter and get into a comfy pair of shorts. I thought offering a good massage would end a fun day together. Since the kids generally have the demand of my attention, he quickly disappeared and then reappeared with his favorite Coconut body butter. (oh, I love it's smell too!)
As I rubbed and lathered the body butter, Bailey came to help....and then Britten! We rubbed and kneaded with our hands, fingers and arms! I know I personally dread the last 15 minutes of a massage simply because it will soon be over! Soon, Riley stopped by and quickly asked "Hey, can I get a turn when Dad is done?" Inside my head, I was asking the same question..."Hey, when I'm done can you give me a massage?" Smiling at Riley I said "yep, when I'm done with Dad!"
Soon, Bailey had half the jar of body butter all over Randy's side and leg. I knew, in order to give the kids a turn and have enough body butter, I was going to have to finish up. So, as I massaged Randy's hand and arm I told him "I know you don't want this to end but your turn is nearly up". I hate that part of massages, but like all all good things in life....they must come to an end! No sooner than Randy rolled over then Bailey plopped into his spot! Together we lathered body butter on our petite little girl. Soon, it was Britten's turn. If you ever need an activity to get children to hold perfectly still, this is one! Riley was too enthralled in a tv show and decided his massage could wait!
As Randy and I worked on the kids and as their little bodies lay motionless, a thought about the last supper entered my mind. What would it have been like to be one of the disciples present as Christ washed and rubbed each of their feet? WOW! Would I be caught up in the compassion and physical enjoyment of the moment? Would I desire that the activity never end as I do when I get a massage. I wonder if his disciples thought within themselves as their turn was ending "No, don't stop....keep going" yet, only to feel a bit of guilt as they sat before the most perfect being feeling as though they should be at HIS feet cleaning and delivering ointment with the same compassion. He was their master and yet he was still giving and making whole their imperfections. Oh, and how today, he is still giving and helping to make my imperfections whole! As I gently rubbed Bailey and Britt's little feet and toes I imagined that our Lord rubbed with love each toe and heel of his disciples knowing that his time on earth was quickly coming to an end! I enjoyed the few minutes I had just a little more knowing that my little ones would all too soon be grown and out the door. Like our Savior, his moments were few but he made them valuable and worth his efforts. Our moments on earth are few and I have discovered that each moment cannot be taken for granted....I don't have that time! I have a short lifetime to give and from my giving I hope it carries through my children as they give!
It is interesting what will pop into our heads as we go about our activities in life. Massaging my eternal companion and then my little ones was nothing short of a spiritual experience for me, far more than I even expected! "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethern, ye have done it unto me". What better example is there to follow than the Master himself?! I think we need to have more family massage sessions.......I'll need to order more body butter!
Miracles
9 years ago
1 comment:
What a beautiful analogy. Loved your whole post.
Love Eternally, Mom
Post a Comment